Saturday, March 8, 2008

Look Honey, it’s a fridge just like the one you’ll own one day!


Here’s yet another refrigerator advertisement. I’m not really clear on what the woman is pointing at and why the young girl seems delighted by a fridge, but it once again exemplifies the “young homemaker” that Hill discusses, with the daughter seemingly so excited over a fridge. The reason I picked this ad was because it is so different from ads today. I am of the opinion, especially after the research I have done, that current ads focus on lifestyle, as I have stated. This ad tells me nothing about this woman’s life besides that she gets overly excited about appliances and dresses unrealistically (according to my grandmother, at least) for the kitchen. The focus of the ad is definitely the fridge, which is important because it is what is being sold. In current ads there are ways to make the appliance the focus, yet also show a lifestyle, which is what will be in the following entries. Also, in recent ads women are not in dresses and heels in kitchens, it’s another dramatic change from the ads from the 1960’s.

No comments: